Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bottling

Today was bottling day.  I tasted it again - major improvement over the fresh wort, but still not something I'd describe as "good."  I'd describe it as watery with a bitter aftertaste, whereas the wort was strong and extremely bitter.















Lessons learned:
  • Measure Final Gravity before adding the priming sugar
    • I measured it after siphoning it into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.  This should give me a higher FG (and therefore lower ABV) reading.  I got 1.018, which translates to 4.07% ABV.
  • Make sure to have enough bottles ready for bottling day.
  • This is the messiest step so far - have a towel ready.
  • Place the carboy in a plastic milk crate next time before I transfer the wort into it.  This will make lifting the full carboy much easier.



P.S. Check out the new signs on my wife's wedding gift and craft page.


No comments:

Post a Comment